Safe Kids Upstate is one of five teams within the Bradshaw Institute for Community Child Health & Advocacy, led by Children’s Hospital Prisma Health.
Mission: Prevent unintentional injuries in the Upstate. SKU learns the injury trends so we can educate the family on how to protect their child and empower them to act.
Vision: Keeping our kids safe in the Upstate.
Values: Together we create a culture of safety with integrity, respect, trust and openness.
The Need for Safe Kids
- The South Carolina death and injury rate continues to be higher than the national average.
- A child dies as a result of an injury every day in the state of South Carolina.
- Unintentional injury is the number one killer of children age 19 and under in the United States.
- Unintentional injury kills more children in the United States than diseases, kidnappings, and drugs combined.
- These injuries cost society $175 billion annually.
- 90% of these injuries could be prevented if families took the simple steps necessary to protect their children.
Safe Kids Upstate Team
Bridgette Watson | Coalition Lead & Program Coordinator
Nydia Arce | Special Project Coordinator
DeAndra Reasonover-Winjobi | Special Project Coordinator